Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Testimony of God's Healing Touch

Well, about a year ago, I had a very bad whiplash injury. It was in a freak swimming accident and this laid me out for several months. God provided, through some Christian friends, all the resources needed to go to a chiropractor. The treatments helped and I got better.

Then a couple months later, I re-injured my neck and this time my back was affected. I was in severe pain much of the day and it even kept me awake at night. I battled trusting that God knew what He was doing and wondered if I'd ever get better. Then depression set in. I struggled with thoughts and feelings I'd never felt before. "Was God really listening to my cries of pain?" "Is He as loving as I thought He was?"

I read a book called The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis. This proved to be a real turning point for me. Mr. Lewis pointed out that the Bible says the God is love. Therefore, if I did not see Him as that or what He was allowing into my life as loving, then I could know there was deception in my life about who and what God is. When I realized that God was more loving then I could ever imagine, my doubts began to go away. Also, at this time I tried meditating on Scripture passages that talked about God's love and how He was my heavenly Father.

That was the beginning of my mental healing. The physical was yet to come. There were times that I'd start feeling a little better, but not much. I'd spend my time in reading (I've read 66 books since Oct. 18, 2008), Bible study, and other things that didn't require much physical activity. I learned much through the books I read and the extra time spent in the Word and in prayer.

Then last Friday (May 29), I went to a friend's graduation party. A very dear pastor friend of mine asked me how I was doing and I told him that I was only doing a little better. He put his hand on my shoulder and prayed for me. Almost right away I started feeling better. Then the youth went out and began playing Ultimate Frisbee, which is a game I love to play. Several of them asked me to play, but I was fearful I might hurt myself again. However, as I stood there battling the fear within me, I felt God tell me I was to play. I obeyed and was amazed that I didn't hurt after some rough plays out on the field.

The next day I helped some friends move and I even carried some heavy things out and loaded them onto the truck. Again, I didn't hurt except for some muscle pain, which is totally understandable after I'd been inactive for so long.

Since the Lord touched my body and began the healing, I have had to rebuke the enemy and remind myself that I am healed through Jesus' blood. I thank God for this amazing turn He has brought into my life. May all the glory go to Him!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord, Jordan!