Monday, July 12, 2010

Sober-Minded

It's been a long time! I can't believe my last post was around Christmas time. Hopefully, I can start posting more on here.

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers. (1 Pe. 4:7)

This verse has been on my mind a lot lately. It has been a convicting reminder that our actions and thoughts have a profound effect on our spiritual lives. Notice that we're to be self-controlled and sober-minded, for what, the sake of our prayers.

I felt like I was to memorize and study this verse and 1 Pe. 5:8, which also talks about being sober-minded. As I've been going about life, these verses have stopped me in my tracks when I was bordering on foolishness or lacking in soberness.

Part of being sober, I found in my studies, is to be moderate. As a young person, I love playing sports with friends. However, the Lord convicted me that I was to be more moderate in my play. This is an integral part of sober-mindedness. We as Christians should be sober-minded for the glory of the Lord, our prayers, and so that we may know when the devil is tempting us to sin. In these last days being sober-minded may mean the difference between life and death.

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

No comments: